Be the first to know about new releases - and even read them early!

Friday, August 19, 2011

Cover Love #1: Welcome Caller, This is Chloe

Cover Lover #1


Okay so it's pretty common that authors have a thing for cover art. We have big strong opinions about it because  the cover on the front of your book can make or break your sales.


Since I have such an opinion on covers I thought I could make this a regular thing. Talking about shit-hot covers when I come across them.


I should have started this donkeys years ago cos cover love is an affliction I come down with frequently. But I didn't think of it then. I thought about it now. 


So without further ado here is my latest cover lover!




Striking, isn't it? I think this one is going to stand out on shelves in a big, big way. Props to Abrams Books cover designer!


Yes, the Young Adult section of all bookshops is full of girls on covers. But the majority of those girls on covers are broody, and pouting and wearing flouncy dresses. The covers are dark and atmospheric.


The girls on covers are generally NOT standing in the centre of the cover, staring the reader in the eye wearing Big Bird yellow, flouro pink above and...what is that...tinsel? Glittery tinsel stuff behind them!


This is different to all the covers out there, it's so completely modern. The only thing I'd change about it is size and placement of Shelley's name. I had to go hunting for it and though I think it's cool that it's on the microphone, she deserves a bigger name.


I think it'll do well. I hope it does well, because Shelley deserves it. 


The novel Welcome Caller, This is Chloe was the fifth out of six times (so far) that Shelley Coriell was a finalist in the Romance Writers of America's Golden Heart competition. So basically she's so good that she is ALWAYS PLACING in this prestigious, highly competitive competition. It was just a matter of time before one of her books was published. And Welcome Caller, This is Chloe is coming May, 2012 from Amulet Books.


So what's it about?


Big-hearted Chloe Camden is the queen of her universe and loved by all until winter break of her junior year. That’s when her BF shreds her reputation and her school counselor axes her junior independent study project. Forced to take on a “more meaningful” project in order to pass her junior year, Chloe joins her school’s struggling radio station where she must team up with a group of misfits who don’t find her too queenly. Ostracized by her former BFs, lonely Chloe throws herself into the radio station where she ends up hosting a late-night call-in show that gets the station much needed publicity. And in the end, trouble. She also befriends radio techie and loner Duncan Moore. On and off the air, Chloe and Duncan learn sometimes funny, sometimes painful lessons about life, love, and what it means to be alone…and lonely.


And who is Shelley Coriell?




The CEO of Coriell Creative Services LLC, Shelley is a communications professional with 20 years experience in public relations and print and electronic media. She has served as a newspaper reporter, award-winning magazine editor, and freelance writer. As an executive for non-profit organizations, she has directed print and electronic communications efforts, overseen special events for thousands, and assisted clients with leadership development, long-range planning, issues management, and media relations. Shelley is a summa cum laude graduate of Arizona State University’s Walter Cronkite School of Journalism. A member of Romance Writers of America and the Society of Children’s Book Writers and Illustrators, Shelley travels the country giving motivational speeches and workshops on the craft, business, and joys of writing. You can find her at online www.shelleycoriell.com and blogging at Sa-weet Treats and Great Reads.


So what say you, fellow cover lovers? Do you like it as much as I do?


Sairz

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! I love comments. I seriously do. Except when they're spam. I get a lot of spam here so, unfortunately, I had to add word verification to stamp that out. But I don't want to stamp out YOUR comment, so keep them coming, okay?