Be the first to know about new releases - and even read them early!

Friday, February 4, 2011

Fiction Musings: Non-threatening but deadly all the same

I bought a micro SD card for my phone today. Yeah, now I am re-joining the technological age and have this thing I can take around with me everywhere with MUSIC on it. Do you guys have something like this? Boggles the mind, doesn't it.

Anyway, I took the 8GB micro SD card from it's packet and really looked at it. It's about the size of my pinkie fingernail.It's about the width of it too. It's incredible that something so small can be so powerful, don't you think?
It's deceptive, and I found this intriguing.

Let's extrapolate this out to writing and characters. It doesn't have to be the six foot five weight lifter who puts on a mean gun show that can be a threat to your protagonist.


He might be physically intimidating but that might be all.

I know a guy who towers over everyone he meets. And if someone gives him a hard time he has no problem with stepping right up in their face and looking down at them. He's physically intimidating. He has also admitted that should someone NOT be intimidated by him, and perhaps throw a punch, he would scream like a little girl and run away because he can't fight. He has to hope it doesn't come to that.

I have another friend who is average height, slim build and completely non-threatening looking. But he is trained in karate and martial arts and could literally kill someone with his bare hands.

People are surprising and our characters should be too.

That's just what I'm thinking. What are your thoughts?

Sairz

2 comments:

  1. to continue with some semblance of literary metaphor, don't judge a book by its cover.
    (i apologize in advance for the cliche)

    ReplyDelete
  2. EXACTLY, David. Too often writers don't utilise this aspect of personality don't you think?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I love comments. I seriously do. Except when they're spam. I get a lot of spam here so, unfortunately, I had to add word verification to stamp that out. But I don't want to stamp out YOUR comment, so keep them coming, okay?