Be the first to know about new releases - and even read them early!

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

It's Book Review Time! (7) Across the Universe by Beth Revis



Amy has left the life she loves for a world 300 years away.
Trapped in space and frozen in time, Amy is bound for a new planet. But fifty years before she's due to arrive, she is violently woken, the victim of an attempted murder. Now Amy's lost on board and nothing makes sense - she's never felt so alone.
Yet someone is waiting for her. He wants to protect her - and more if she'll let him.


To me, this book is essentially a murder mystery...in SPAAAAAAAACE! That's a great hook right there, right? It's a great hook but it's also a very simplistic look at a very complicated novel.


Revis does an amazing job with the world building of this, her debut. It's not simply a case of Earth people having been on a space ship generation after generation for 300 years, but she has thought long and hard about what cultural changes may take place through the centuries due to this living condition. Physical, technological, emotional and psychological changes. Just as the world and people were very different to us 300 years ago, Amy wakes up to find the occupants of the ship, that have lived there their whole lives are very different to those she left at home on Earth.
Across the Universe is a dual narrative novel through the eyes of Amy, the victim of an attempted murder and Elder, one of the ship's residents.


Every time it was mentioned that the ship would not land on the new Earth for 50 years I felt uncomfortable - poor Amy, can you imagine it? Being stuck inside for fifty years, with recycled air, recycled water, a metal roof over your head and the "sun" being switched off each night? Waiting fifty years to see your loved ones again? Meeting them again when you are OLDER than your parents?


It's a heart wrenching situation and I look forward to seeing how Amy deals with it in the next book in the trilogy.


COVER NOTE: I have to mention the cover. It's so pretty, don't you think? At least from a distance. When I look at it closely, what looks to be the moment before a kiss actually freaks me out. I imagine that's Amy, still cryogenically frozen, yes? And the guy about to kiss her, well it looks a bit stalkerish and all since she's still sleeping. Creeps me out - which I suppose it's supposed to. Mind you, it's all romantic when the Prince wakes Sleeping Beauty with a kiss, right?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! I love comments. I seriously do. Except when they're spam. I get a lot of spam here so, unfortunately, I had to add word verification to stamp that out. But I don't want to stamp out YOUR comment, so keep them coming, okay?